US Background Checks
Some home owners may require you to provide an official background check. In the US you can request these official documents from the Local Police in the town or city you reside, or request a background record check from the Criminal Justice Information Service, which is part of the FBI.
US Background Checks: Police Record Check
- Go to your local police department where you reside or last resided in the United States
- Request that the police conduct a local or state criminal records search and provide you with a document reflecting that there is no history of a criminal record.
- Local police departments may require your personal appearance in order to conduct the search.
- You should determine whether the country you intend to use the records check requires that it be authenticated.
US Background Checks: FBI Record Check
- The Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) Division of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) centralizes criminal justice information and provides accurate and timely information and services to local, state, federal, and international law enforcement agencies, the private sector, academia, and other government agencies.
- The FBI offers two methods for requesting your FBI Identification Record or proof that a record does not exist.
- The subject of an identification record may obtain a copy of that record by submitting a written request to the CJIS Division.
- The request must be accompanied by satisfactory proof of identity (consisting of name, date and place of birth, and a set of rolled-inked fingerprint impressions) and a certified check or money order for the current processing fee.
- The FBI will not provide copies of arrest records to individuals other than the subject of the record.
- Requests should be directed to the FBI CJIS Division, Attn: SCU, Mod. D-2, 1000 Custer Hollow Rd., Clarksburg, West Virginia 26306.
- If there is no criminal record, a report reflecting this fact is provided.
- See FBI.gov information on Identification Record Request and Guide for Obtaining Your FBI Identification Record; Submitting an Identification Record Request to the FBI.
Last time I checked the FBI website they’d put in a new system for processing the background checks, and they’re experiencing delays in processing any new requests. So if you know you want to be a house sitter and want to have an FBI record check done – you should apply in plenty of time.